Saturday 5 April 2014

A Thousand Miles...

Last Saturday I did the Parkrun in South Shields with my brother-in-law. Having not been able to run for more than 15 minutes since the previous parkrun (due to working away) I was keen to get my trainers on again! I wasn’t aiming for a personal best as I had to push myself really hard the previous week to get my 31.25 (still can’t quite believe I did this!) Once I started running though, I decided maybe I should try for a pb and I tried pushing myself a little harder.


I struggled after the half way point, (breathing difficult, sore legs) and I knew I had slowed down. I knew by this point I wouldn’t beat (or match) my pb but I decided to keep going anyway. I think I started off faster than usual which is why I struggled. I completed the parkrun in 32.32, which I was still very impressed with as a few months ago I wouldn’t have believed you if you had said that I would be running 3.1 miles so close to 30 minutes! I did feel a little bit of disappointed, particularly as I struggled so much, but this quickly disappeared when I remembered how far I come since I started running in September.

I was able to go to running group on Monday. I was very excited about this as I missed the previous week due to work. I enjoyed this session, though as always it was hard work. I also got to go there and back with my lovely friend Rachael so this was great too! I tried to run with a smile on my face, partly as I’m proud of how well I am doing and partly as it helps to convince me that I am enjoying it (even when my legs or lungs tell me otherwise!)
 
 

On Thursday I had a day off work and used the opportunity to go for a run. I was aiming for 8km (5 miles) as I am trying to increase my distance ahead of the Sunderland 10k on 4th May. It was raining and windy and I couldn’t see out of my glasses. I quickly began to wonder why I ever even decided to start running in the first place! Then I thought back to the previous Friday when I went to Newcastle to see The Magenta Singers perform. This is a choir made in association with the North East Trust for Aphasia (NETA) and The Sage, Gateshead. All of the singers have Aphasia; communication difficulties following a stroke or other brain injury. The enthusiasm of The Magenta Singers, is contagious, and it wonderful that they do not let their communication difficulties prevent them from doing the things they enjoy. NETA plays a huge role in the lives of people with Aphasia (and their families) here in the North East and I am proud to be running for them.
 

Thursday's run to Newbiggin!
 
I will not give up on running just because I find it difficult; what would be the point in that?! I managed to run 8.5km (with some walking in between) and every step I ran made me determined to continue on my journey to the Great North Run, so that I can raise valuable funds for NETA and enable them to continue supporting the members. If you are able to help me to support them (however small) please check out my Just Giving page www.justgiving.com/jollyjulie


I didn’t get to do the parkrun today as I was working but I am looking forward to spectating at the Blyth 10k tomorrow to support my brother-in-law. All going according to plan, I shall be at training on Monday! Just 4 weeks to go until the Sunderland 10k!

Thanks for reading and joining me in my journey to the Great North Run – “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”.

No comments:

Post a Comment