Sunday 15 December 2013

My First Park Run!

I can't believe how long it is since I sat down and typed an entry for my blog! I have still been running but I haven't had time to write about it.

Yesterday morning I completed my first Parkrun! I am so proud of myself and I am pleased I took part but I did find it difficult. I've only run 5k a couple of times previously so my aim was just to get to the end!

I picked my friend Rachael up early yesterday morning and drove to Newcastle. I felt a little nervous, partly as it was something new and partly as I knew I had to run 5k!

Once parked, we headed into Exhibition Park ready to run! We started off near the back (as I didn't want to go too fast). I encouraged Rach to go ahead of me as she is a faster runner than me and I didn't want to hold her back.

I still find running pretty difficult and 5k is definitely challenging for me! I started off well and was feeling positive. It started feeling like a struggle and I thought I must be half way so was most disappointed when I saw the 2k sign! At this point I decided to walk as my legs were hurting. I soon started running again though. I slowed to a walk again further along the course but I did do more running than walking overall.

I was very excited to see the 4k sign and know that I only had 1k to go! Though at this point that felt like 1k  too far! I was determined not to give up and knowing that Rachael was at the finish line waiting for me kept me running. Also, I knew I was going out for lunch with my friend Katie and her gorgeous boys (Benjamin and Joshua) which inspired me to get to the finish. Joshua enjoys running and I am going to be his accompanying adult in the mini GNR next year :-)

Joshua and Benjamin in front of my Christmas after a lovely lunch!

As I neared the end, Aidan (from the Great North Run Beer Tent Group) came to check I was ok and ran the final stretch with me.

I was so pleased to cross the finish line and was pleased with my time of 42.06! I found it difficult but a few months ago I would have laughed at anyone who said I would do a parkrun before the end of the year! I look forward to doing another one again soon and hopefully as I continue to improve I will enjoy it a little more. I do love how happy running makes me and the sense of achievement after I've finished though so I'm not planning on giving up! My running niggles are definitely improving and I am recovering much quicker!

Me crossing the finish - thanks to Rachael for taking the photo! :-)

I will be at my running group tomorrow night. The last few sessions have involved some speed work so I look forward to finding out what tomorrow has in store for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment